Beginning in February 1863 when Strathroy was a village of only 1,000, our first meeting was in the old Town Hall which was placed on a lot at its current location on Centre Street using the skills from a number of congregants including a carpenter, brick layer, painter, paper hanger, and general merchant.
February 1889 brought the dedication of a new building to replace the smaller one which the church family had outgrown. On October 1, 1911, the fire whistle awakened the members Ė and the town Ė to the fact the building, in process of being renovated, was enveloped in flames. What joy when, in 1912, the beautifully renovated new church home was entered and the following year her over 300 members celebrated 50 years of Godís faithfulness.
The church has continued to offer ministry during good times and bad, during troubles such as the First and Second World Wars and the 1919 flu epidemic, and outreach through missions, both locally and abroad, and in 1968 welcomed the next 100 years for service. In 1987, Caradoc Zion Baptist Church, our founding church, closed in the rural areas south of Strathroy, and her members joined us. From 1985 Ė 2009, our church provided outreach to our Portuguese community sharing English classes as well as having a Portuguese speaking service conducted which included a weekly bible study.
In 2000 to provide additional protection to our children and vulnerable adults we introduced a written safety policy which became part of our constitution. In 2008 First Baptist Church Strathroy was granted Letters of Patent by the Federal Government of Canada being incorporated to further provide care and protection to those our Lord God brings to our doors Ė all for His Glory and service.